John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 32
If Solomon for wisdom prayed,|
The Lord before had made him wise;
Else he another choice had made,
And asked for what the worldlings prize.
2. Thus he invites his people still,
3. Our wishes would our ruin prove,
4. But when our hearts perceive his worth,
5. And dost thou say, Ask what thou wilt?|
Lord, I would seize the golden hour;
I pray to be released from guilt,
And freed from sin and Satan's pow'r.
6. More of thy presence, Lord, impart,
7. Give me to read my pardon sealed,
8. Grant these requests, I ask no more
| Song Index | Home Page |