John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 99
How kind the good Samaritan|
To him who fell among the thieves!
Thus Jesus pities fallen man,
And heals the wounds the soul receives.
2. O! I remember well the day,
3. Men saw me in this helpless case,
4. But he whose name had been my scorn,
5. Gently he raised me from the ground,|
Pressed me to lean upon his arm;
And into every gaping wound
He poured his own all-healing balm.
6. Unto his church my steps he led,
7. Thus saved from death, from want secured,
8. There through eternal boundless days,
| Song Index | Home Page |