John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 29
How David, when by sin deceived,|
From bad to worse went on!
For when the Holy Spirit's grieved,
Our strength and guard are gone.
2. His eye on Bathsheba once fixed,
3. So from a spark of fire at first,
4. When sin deceives it hardens too,
5. He neither would, or could repent,|
No true compunction felt;
'Till God in mercy Nathan sent,
His stubborn heart to melt.
6. The parable held forth a fact,
7. Thou art the man, the prophet said,
8. Let those who think they stand beware,
| Song Index | Home Page |