John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 59
He who on earth as man was known,|
And bore our sins and pains;
Now, seated on th' eternal throne,
The God of glory reigns.
2. His hands the wheels of nature guide
3. While harps unnumbered sound his praise,
4. His righteousness, to faith revealed,|
Wrought out for guilty worms,
Affords a hiding place and shield,
From enemies and storms.
5. This land, through which his pilgrims go,
6. When troubles, like a burning sun,
7. How glorious he! how happy they|
In such a glorious friend!
Whose love secures them all the way,
And crowns them at the end.
| Song Index | Home Page |