John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 113
Here at Bethesda's pool, the poor,|
The withered, halt, and blind;
With waiting hearts expect a cure,
And free admittance find.
2. Here streams of wondrous virtue flow
3. The dumb break forth in songs of praise,
4. Restrained to no one case, or time,
5. Yet numbers daily near them lie,|
Who meet with no relief;
With life in view they pine and die
In hopeless unbelief.
6. 'Tis strange they should refuse to bathe,
7. Satan their consciences has sealed,
8. Do thou, dear Saviour, interpose,
| Song Index | Home Page |