Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
Great God, how oft did Isr'el prove|
By turns thine anger and thy love!
There in a glass our hearts may see
How fickle and how false they be.
2. How soon the faithless Jews forgot
3. The Lord consumed their years ill pain,
4. Oft when they saw their brethren slain|
They mourned, and sought the Lord again;
Called him the Rock of their abode,
Their high Redeemer, and their God.
5. Their prayers and vows before him rise
6. Yet did his sovereign grace forgive
7. He saw their flesh was weak and frail,|
He saw temptations still prevail;
The God of Abram loved them still,
And led them to his holy hill.
| Song Index | Home Page |