John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 18
When Israel heard the fiery law,|
From Sinai's top proclaimed;
Their hearts seemed full of holy awe,
Their stubborn spirits tamed.
2. Yet, as forgetting all they knew,
3. Yea, Aaron, God's anointed priest,
4. Lord, what is man! and what are we,|
To recompense thee thus!
In their offence our own we see,
Their story points at us.
5. From Sinai we have heard thee speak,
6. Some golden calf, or golden dream,
7. Lord, save us from our golden calves,|
Our sin with grief we own;
We would no more be thine by halves,
But live to thee alone.
| Song Index | Home Page |