William Cowper, 1779; v.7 unknown, from Olney Hymns, vol. 3, hymn 19
God of my life, to Thee I call;|
Afflicted at Thy feet I fall;
When the great water-floods prevail,
Leave not my trembling heart to fall.
2. Friend of the friendless and the saint!
3. Did ever mourner plead with Thee
4. That were a grief I could not bear,|
Didst thou not hear and answer prayer;
But a prayer-hearing, answ'ring God,
Supports me under every load.
5. Fair is the lot that's cast for me;
6. Poor though I be, despised, forgot,
7. Then hear, O Lord, my humble cry|
And bend on me Thy pitying eye.
To Thee their prayer Thy people make:
Hear us for our Redeemer's sake.
| Song Index | Home Page |