William Cowper, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 55
God gives his mercies to be spent;|
Your hoard will do your soul no good:
Gold is a blessing only lent,
Repaid by giving others food.
2. The world's esteem is but a bribe,
3. The Joy that vain amusements give,
4. 'Tis thus the world rewards the fools|
That live upon her treach'rous smiles;
She leads them, blindfold, by her rules,
And ruins all whom she beguiles.
5. God knows the thousands who go down
6. O fearful thought! be timely wise;
| Song Index | Home Page |