John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 23
The signs which God to Gideon gave,|
His holy Sovereignty made known;
That He alone has pow'r to save,
And claims the glory as his own.
2. The dew which first the fleece had filled,
3. To Israel thus the heavenly dew
4. But now the Gentiles have received
5. This dew still falls at his command,|
To keep his chosen plants alive;
They shall, though in a thirsty land,
Like willows by the waters thrive.
6. But chiefly when his people meet,
7. But ah! what numbers still are dead,
8. Dear Saviour, hear us when we call,
| Song Index | Home Page |