John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 109
Father, forgive (the Saviour said)|
They know not what they do:
His heart was moved when thus he prayed
For me, my friends, and you.
2. He saw, that as the Jews abused
3. Through love of sin, we long were prone
4. We knew not the desert of sin,|
Nor whom we thus defied;
Nor where our guilty souls had been,
If Jesus had not died.
5. We knew not what a law we broke,
6. But Jesus all our guilt foresaw,
7. My sin, dear Saviour, made thee bleed,|
Yet didst thou pray for me!
I knew not what I did, indeed,
When ignorant of thee.
| Song Index | Home Page |