John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 124
Then the apostle wonders wrought,|
And healed the sick, in Jesus' name;
The sons of Sceva vainly thought
That they had pow'r to do the fame.
2. On one possessed they tried their art,
3. The spirit answered, with a mock,
4. With fury then the man he filled,
5. Jesus! that name, pronounced by faith,|
Is full of wonder-working pow'r;
It conquers Satan, sin and death,
And cheers in trouble's darkest hour.
6. But they, who are not born again,
7. Satan their vain attempts derides,
8. But you, believers, may rejoice,
| Song Index | Home Page |