John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 136
Thus saith the Lord to Ephesus,|
And thus he speaks to some of us;
Amidst my churches, lo, I stand,
And hold the pastors in my hand.
2. Thy works, to me, are fully known,
3. Yet I must blame while I approve,
4. Recall to mind the happy days|
When thou wast filled with joy and praise;
Repent, thy former works renew,
Then I'll restore thy comforts too.
5. Return at once, when I reprove,
6. Hearken to what the Spirit saith,
| Song Index | Home Page |