Christ the Lord is risen today,|
Sons of men and angels say.
Raise your joys and triumphs high;
Sing, ye heavens, and, earth, reply.
2. Love's redeeming work is done,
Fought the fight, the battle won.
Lo, our Sun's eclipse is o'er;
Lo, He sets in blood no more.
3. Vain the stone, the watch, the seal;
Christ has burst the gates of hell.
Death in vain forbids His rise;
Christ has opened Paradise.
4. Lives again our glorious King;
Where, O Death, is now thy sting?
Once He died our souls to save;
Where's thy victory, boasting Grave?
5. Soar we now where Christ has led,
Following our exalted Head.
Made like Him, like Him we rise;
Ours the cross, the grave, the skies.
6. What though once we perished all,|
Partners in our parents' fall?
Second life we all receive,
In our heavenly Adam live.
7. Risen with Him, we upward move,
Still we seek the things above,
Still pursue and kiss the Son
Seated on his Father's throne.
8. Scarce on earth a thought bestow,
Dead to all we leave below;
Heaven our aim and loved abode,
Hid our life with Christ in God;
9. Hid till Christ, our Life, appear
Glorious in His members here;
Joined to Him, we then shall shine
All immortal, all divine.
10. Hail the Lord of earth and heaven!
Praise to Thee by both be given!
Thee we greet triumphant now:
Hail, the Resurrection Thou!
11. King of Glory, Soul of bliss,
Everlasting life is this:
Thee to know, Thy power to prove,
Thus to sing, and thus to love.