John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 36
By the poor widow's oil and meal|
Elijah was sustained;
Though small the stock it lasted well,
For God the store maintained.
2. It seemed as if from day to day,
3. Thus to his poor he still will give
4. No barn or storehouse they possess|
On which they can depend;
Yet have no cause to fear distress,
For Jesus is their friend.
5. Then let not doubts your mind assail,
6. And thus though faint it often seems,
7. Though in ourselves we have no stock,|
The Lord is nigh to save;
His door flies open when we knock,
And 'tis but ask and have.
| Song Index | Home Page |