John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 94
When the disciples crossed the lake|
With but one loaf on board;
How strangely did their hearts mistake
The caution of their Lord.
2. The leaven of the Pharisees
3. It seems they had forgotten too,
4. If five small loaves, by his command,|
Could many thousands serve;
Might they not trust his gracious hand,
That they should never starve?
5. They oft his pow'r and love had known,
6. How often has he brought relief,
7. Be thankful for one loaf today,|
Though that be all your store;
Tomorrow, if you trust and pray,
Shall timely bring you more.
| Song Index | Home Page |