John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 2, hymn 25
Beneath the tyrant Satan's yoke|
Our souls were long oppressed;
Till grace our galling fetters broke,
And gave the weary rest.
2. Jesus, in that important hour,
3. Now, freed from bondage, sin, and death,
4. Ere long, we hope with him to dwell|
In yonder world above;
And now, we only live to tell
The riches of his love.
5. O might we, ere we hence remove,
6. Like Simeon, we shall gladly go,
7. Lord hear our prayer, indulge our hope,|
On these thy Spirit pour;
That they may take our story up,
When we can speak no more.
| Song Index | Home Page |