Awake, my soul, and with the sun|
Thy daily stage of duty run;
Shake off dull sloth and joyful rise
To pay thy morning sacrifice.
2. Thy precious time, midspent, redeem,
Each present day thy last Esteem,
Improve thy Talent with due Care,
For the Great Day thyself prepare.
3. Let all thy converse be sincere,
Thy conscience as the noonday clear;
Think how the all-seeing God thy ways
And all thy secret thought surveys.
4. By influence of the Light Divine
Let thy own Light to others Shine,
Reflect all Heaven's propitious Rays,
In ardent Love, and chearful Praise.
5. Wake and lift up thyself, my Heart,
And with the Angels bear thy part,
Who all Night long unwearied Sing
High Praise to the Eternal King.
6. I wake, I wake, ye Heavenly Choir,
May your Devotion me inspire,
That I like you my Age may spend,
Like you may on my God attend.
7. May I like you in God delight,
Have all day long my God in sight,
Perform like you my Maker's Will,
O may I nevermore do ill.
8. Had I your Wings, to Heaven I'd fly,|
But God shall that Defect supply,
And my Soul, wing'd with warm desire,
Shall all Day long to Heaven aspire.
9. All praise to Thee, who safe hast kept
And hast refreshed me whilst I slept.
Grant, Lord, when I from death shall wake,
I may of endless light partake.
10. I would not wake nor rise again,
And Heaven itself I would disdain,
Were'tnot Thou there to be enjoy'd,
And I in Hymns to be employ'd.
11. Heav'n is, Dear Lord, where'er Thou art,
O never, then, from me depart;
For to my Soul 'tis Hell to be
But for one Moment void of Thee.
12. Lord, I my vows to Thee renew;
Disperse my sins as morning dew;
Guard my first springs of thought and will
And will Thyself my spirit fill.
13. Direct, control, suggest, this day
All I design or do or say
That all my powers, with all their might,
In Thy sole glory may unite.
14. Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host:
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.