John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 75
As once for Jonah, so the Lord|
To soothe and cheer my mournful hours,
Prepared for me a pleasing gourd,
Cool was its shade, and sweet its flow'rs.
2. To prize his gift was surely right;
3. While I admired its beauteous form,
4. I trembled when I saw it fade,|
But guilt restrained the murm'ring word;
My folly I confessed, and prayed,
Forgive my sin, and spare my gourd.
5. His wondrous love can ne'er be told,
6. Now, Lord, my gourd is mine no more,
| Song Index | Home Page |