As I was a walking one morning in May|
To hear the birds whistle and see the lambkins play
I espied a young damsel, so sweetly sang she
Down by the green bushes where she chanced to meet me.
2. Oh why are you loitering here, pretty maid?
3. I will give you fine beavers and fine silken gowns
4. I want none of your beavers or fine silken hose|
For I'm not so poor as to marry for clothes
But if you be constant and true unto me
I'll leave my own true love and marry with thee.
5. Come let us be going, kind sir, if you please
6. And when he came there and found she was gone
| Song Index | Home Page |