John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 53
One there is, above all others,|
Well deserves the name of friend;
His is love beyond a brother's,
Costly, free, and knows no end:
They who once his kindness prove,
Find it everlasting love!
2. Which of all our friends to save us,
3. Men, when raised to lofty stations,
4. When he lived on earth abased,|
Friend of sinners was his name;
Now, above all glory raised,
He rejoices in the same:
Still he calls them brethren, friends,
And to all their wants attends.
5. Could we bear from one another,
6. O for grace our hearts to soften!
| Song Index | Home Page |