These cannot be the original lyrics (see below)
When I was but a friendless boy|
Just nineteen years of age
My father bound me to a miller
That I might learn the trade.
2. I fell in love with one dear girl
3. Up stepped her mother to the door
4. Her mother she persuaded me
5. I asked her for to take a walk,
6. We had not travelled very far|
When I looked all around and around,
I picked up an old fence stick
And straight way knocked her down.
7. She fell upon her trembling knees
8. I took her by her little hand
9. And I returned to the miller's house
10. She looked at me most earnestly
11. About three days and better|
This damsel she was seen,
Floating by her sister's house
Down in old Wexford Town.
| Song Index | Home Page |