'Twas the eve of St.Patrick, at the dawn of the day,|
The hills of Tirconnell, lay slumbering and gray.
The first light of morning illumined the sky,
As four Irish heroes were lead forth to die.
2. They were Enright, O'Donnell and Dawly by name,
3. These four Irish soldiers were dragged from their cell,
4. Three left their homesteads in Kerry's green vale,|
And one came from Derry to fight for the Gael
But instead of true friends they met traitor and foe
And uncoffined were laid in the woods of Drumbo.
5. The church bells rang out in the cool morning air,
6. Let Tireconnel ne'er boast of her honour and fame,
| Song Index | Home Page |