There was an old woman from Wexford town,|
In Wexford she did dwell
She loved her husband dearly,
But another man twice as well
To me right ful lor a li del,
To me right ful lor a lay.
2. One day she went to the doctor,
Some medicine for to find
Said "Will you give me something
That will make my old man blind?"
3. Feed him eggs and marrowbones,
And make him suck them all
And it won't be very long after
Till he won't see you at all.
4. The doctor wrote a letter and
He signed it with his hand
And he sent it to the old man
Just to let him understand.
5. So she fed him eggs and marrowbones|
And made him suck them all
And it wasn't very long after
Till he couldn't see the wall.
6. He said "I'd go down and drown myself,
But I fear it is a sin."
Says she "I'll go along with you,
And help to push you in."
7. The woman she stepped back a bit
To rush and push him in
But the old man quietly stepped aside,
And she went tumbling in.
8. Oh how loudly she did yell,
And how loudly she did call
Says he, "Old woman, I'd save you
But I can't see you at all!"
9. So eggs and eggs and marrowbones
May make your old man blind
But if you want to drown him
You must creep up close behind