O it happened one ev'ning at the playing of the ball,|
That first I met Willlie both proper and tall
He was neat fair and handsome and straight in each limb,
There's a heart in this bosom lies breaking for him.
2. "Oh will you go with me a short piece of the road
3. "There's a place in my father's garden, lovely Willie," said she
4. Her father being listening in ambush he lay,|
To hear those fond words these young lovers did say,
Then with a sharp rapier he pierced her love through,
And the innocent blood of her darling he drew.
5. The grave was made ready, lovely Willie laid in,
6. "And I shall go off to some far country,
| Song Index | Home Page |