It was early, early all in the Spring,|
That my boy Willie went to serve the King,
The night was dark and the wind blew high;
It was then I lost my dear sailor boy.
2. The night is long and I can find no rest,
3. "Oh, father, father, give me a boat,
4. She was not long out upon the deep,
5. "What sort of boy is your Willie dear,|
Or what sort of a suit does your Willie wear?"
"He wears a suit of the royal blue,
And you'll easy know him for his heart is true."
6. "Oh, then your boy Willie, I am sorry to say,
7. She wrung her hands and she tore her hair,
8. "O, father, make my grave both wide and deep,
9. Come all you sailors who sail along|
And all you boatmen who follow on.
From the cabin-boy to the mainmast high
Ye must mourn in black for my sailor boy.
| Song Index | Home Page |