As I was a-goin' over Gilgarra Mountain,|
I spied Colonel Farrell, and his money he was countin'.
First I drew my pistols and then I drew my rapier,
Sayin' "Stand and deliver, for I am your bold deceiver."
Musha ringum duram da, whack fol the daddy-o,
whack fol the daddy-o, there's whiskey in the jar.
2. He counted out his money and it made a pretty penny;
3. I went into me chamber all for to take a slumber,
4. Next mornin' early, before I rose for travel,|
A-came a band of footmen and likewise Colonel Farrell.
I goes to draw my pistol, for she'd stole away my rapier,
But a prisoner I was taken, I couldn't shoot the water.
5. They put me into jail with a judge all a-writin':
6. I'd like to find me brother, the one who's in the army;
7. There's some takes delight in the carriages and rollin',|
Some takes delight in the hurley or the bollin',
But I takes delight in the juice of the barley,
Courtin' pretty maids in the mornin', o so early!
| Song Index | Home Page |