The night was dark and the fight was over,|
The moon shone down O'Connell Street.
I stood alone where brave men perished,
They all have gone, their gods to meet.
2. The first I met was a dying rebel,
3. The next I met was a fair haired maiden,
4. The last I met was a gray haired father,|
Searching for his only son.
I said, "me man, there's no use searchin',
For up to heaven your son has gone."
5. There kneeling down was the gray haired father,
6. My only son was shot in Dublin,
| Song Index | Home Page |