Come all ye airy bachelors,|
A warning take by me
Give over your wild ramblin'
And shun bad company.
I lived as happy as a prince,
When I was in the North.
And the first of my misfortunes
Was to 'list in the Black Horse.
2. Now it being a Thursday morn
3. O no, kind sir, a soldier's life
4. So are you in a hurry now|
Or are you going away,
Or won't you stand and listen
To those words I'm going to say;
Or do you live far from this place,
The same I'd wish to know,
Your name, kind sir, now if you please,
Give me before you go?
5. O, then, I am in a hurry,
6. He says: Now Cousin Charlie,
7. Farewell unto my father, dear,|
Likewise my sisters three
Farewell unto my mother,
Her kind face I ne'er will see;
As I ride down through Armagh town,
They all run in my mind
So farewell unto my country, boys,
And the girl I left behind.
| Song Index | Home Page |