It was not in faction, it was not in hate,|
That we men of the north assembled;
It was that our own and our children's fate
In the balance no longer trembled.
2. For there came - 'twas at night, - a lawless band,
3. Darkly they came, in the dead of night,
4. They paus'd - did they fear the storm they'd woke
5. What though they were many, and we but few,
6. Yet last it did - aye, many a day!|
But the shield of our God was o'er us;
Till at last, like a quarry long held at bay,
We drove them like chaff before us.
7. Then blame us not when all was o'er
8. Stern and steadfast and linked as one,
9. Traverse who will that wretched land,
10. Yes! Cold suspicion and scoff and scorn
11. We have bided our time - it is well nigh come;|
It will find us stern and steady;
It will need not to rouse us with trumpet or drum
For our hearts and our arms are ready.
| Song Index | Home Page |