Traditional, collected by Child, #100
Our king, he has a daughter fair;|
Arbutus is her name.
And he has gone a-soldiering
To the court of the king of Spain.
2. Where our harpers sang of her gentle grace,
3. Our Irish king, he's hurried home
4. Her lovely eyes were filled with tears
5. "Oh but you shall do as I command,
6. "But Father dear, I love a man,|
Will Winsboro is his name,
And I'd not leave my own true love
For the hand of the king of Spain."
7. "But I swore you were a maiden fair,
8. "Oh, Father dear, don't shame me so;
9. "Take off, take off your very brown gown
10. So she's taken off her very brown gown,
11. And her lover's turned to the gentle breeze;|
Through her branches he does play
And she has shed her soft brown bark
'till this very day.
| Song Index | Home Page |